Type of role
Number of posts
About the job
Do you have knowledge and experience of delivering large complex projects and/or programmes in a structured way?
If you answered yes to these questions this could be your ideal opportunity to join the resources and strategy team at the Department for Transport (DfT) as a Project and Programme Manager
There are two exciting project management leadership roles available. The roles are within a dynamic delivery environment and require you to be able to provide leadership, collaborate with stakeholders, understand the big picture, react at pace and make effective decisions.
If you are successful in your application you will be considered for one of the following roles:
Senior Programme Management Role – Airport Capacity Programme
The first role is working on Airport Capacity Programme, Airport Capacity is one of the Department’s highest profile programmes there are regular opportunities to work with the most senior managers in DfT, across government and with external delivery organisations.
Project Delivery Standards and Assurance Lead –Corporate Governance Division
The second role takes the lead for all of Department for Transport, ensuring that our demanding and high profile portfolio and project delivery standards are met as they as they progress.
The role also supports the Board Investment and Commercial Committee, working closely with the Director of Assurance to support the committee ahead of investment decisions for areas to probe and challenge. Stakeholder engagement is vital in this role.
In these roles you will need to
• Confidently engage with stakeholders and colleagues at all levels to generate commitment to goals
• Be open and inviting of the views of others and respond despite pressure to ignore, revert or concede
• Make clear, pragmatic and manageable plans for service delivery using programme and project management disciplines
• Create regular opportunities for staff and customers to help improve service quality and demonstrate a visible involvement
• Analyse and evaluate data from various sources to identify pros and cons and identify risks in order to make well considered decisions.
• Identify the main issues in complex problems, clarify understanding or stakeholder expectations, to seek best option
• Actively build and maintain a network of colleagues and contacts to achieve progress on objectives and shared interests
• Seek constructive outcomes in discussions, challenge assumptions but remain willing to compromise when it is beneficial to progress
• Anticipate economic, social, political, environmental and technological developments to keep activity relevant and targeted
• Bring together views and perspectives of stakeholders to gain a wider picture of the landscape surrounding activities and policies
Please also see attached role profile for further information
When considering how your experience relates to the role, please provide a tailored CV and Personal Statement, reflecting the role and the competencies/and indicators described in the Role Profile
Your Personal Statement must evidence a suitable level for each of the required competencies as set out below, the appropriate skills and experience as well as the ability to effectively undertake the role’s responsibilities.
We’ll assess you against these competencies during the selection process:
- Leading and communicating
- Managing a quality service
- Making effective decisions
- Collaborating and partnering
- Seeing the big picture
The package includes generous leave entitlement, attractive pension options, flexible working and other policies to enable a good work/life balance, including beneficial childcare arrangements.
You’ll also benefit from our commitment to nurturing and developing talent.
Things you need to know
If you’re applying for a role requiring security clearance please be aware that foreign or dual nationality is not an automatic bar. However certain posts may have restrictions which could affect those who do not have sole British nationality or who have personal connections with certain countries outside the UK.
Selection process details
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.